Spice it Up! 0
Spice up your week with one of our original EvilO recipes: Seared Spiced Steak with Crispy potato hash.
24 Oz Sirloin Steak
2 Medium Yellow Onions
2 Ears of Corn
(If you are a busy chef with limited time substitute the ears of corn for a 12 Oz bag of frozen, or a standard can of corn)
24 Oz Russet Potatoes
2 Poblano Peppers
1 Bunch of Cilantro
1 Can Chipotle in Adobo
4 TBL Sour Cream
2 TBL Beef Stock Concentrate
1 Large Clove of Fresh Garlic
2 TBL EvilO's Garlic Mushroom EVOO
2 TBL Spice Lab Ancho Chile & Coffee Meat Rub
1 TBL EvilO's Garlic Cilantro Balsamic Vinegar
Prep Time: 40 Minutes Serves 3
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Halve, peel, and thinly slice half of the onion. Finely dice the remaining half of the onion. Core, seed, and remove ribs of the poblano, slice thinly. Wash potatoes, peel and cut into ½ inch cubes. Cut corn off of the cob, or substitute with frozen or canned. Mince cilantro, garlic clove, and two chipotle peppers from can. Save the rest of the chipotle peppers for another day.
- Toss potatoes onto baking sheet with 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Mushroom oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- While the potatoes cook heat up ½ Tablespoon of Garlic Mushroom oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the sliced onion and poblano peppers to the pan and cook until softened and lightly caramelized about 7-8 minutes. Now add corn to the pan cook for another 3-4 minutes (if using frozen cook you may have to add 1-2 additional minutes) , season to taste with salt and pepper then set aside in -a medium bowl, cover and keep warm.
- In the same pan heat remaining Garlic Mushroom oil on medium high heat. Season steak generously on all sides with Spice Lab Ancho Chili & Coffee meat rub. Add steak to pan and sear each side for 3-4 minutes. Then place steak on the same baking sheet as the potatoes and return to the oven to finish cooking until desired doneness. 4-7 more minutes. When you have reached your desired doneness set aside and let rest for 5 minutes. This means do not touch the steak, very important to let rest.
- Now add the chopped onion to the same pan on medium heat, add oil if necessary. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add minced garlic, and as much chipotle as you want (more chipotle means more heat!) to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Stir ½ cup water and beef concentrate into the pan and simmer until thickened and reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Remove potatoes from oven and add to vegetable hash then toss to mix. While tossing potato hash, drizzle in Garlic & Cilantro Balsamic Vinegar. Thinly slice steak against the grain. Plate the hash, then place sliced steak on bed of hash off center and spoon sauce from pan over steak. Finish with sprinkling of cilantro over entire dish and enjoy!
Drinks on Us! 0
If you are looking a little kick for Cinco De Mayo to help celebrate we've got a drink for you. Two words.... Spicy Michelada
4 Cups Light Beer of your choosing
16 Oz of Clamato Juice
3 Fresh Limes
4 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tsp Bravado's Crimson Special Reserve Hot Sauce
4 Tsp Soy Sauce
Chili Lime Margarita Sea Salt (enough to rim the glass)
You will also need a pitcher with ice
Prep time: 10 Min Serves: 6 Drinks
- Cut two limes in half and squeeze all juice into pitcher, reserve the lime rinds and set aside. Cut last lime into 6 wedges for garnish
- Pour Clamato juice, Worcestershire sauce, Crimson Special Reserve, soy sauce, ad beer into pitcher and mix well
- Take lime rinds and rub the rims of the glasses with them then dip rim of glasses into Chili Lime Margarita Sea Salt. Fill glasses with ice.
- Pour mix into glasses and garnish with lime wedge on rim of glass. Sip, relax, and enjoy the fiesta…..
If you would like to add a little zing to your festivities try our new Pink Himalayan Tequila Salt Shooters.
It's Party Time 0
Super Bowl 51 kicks off Sunday night in Houston, TX. Are you hosting a party this year? We've got everything you need to start your party prepping and planning. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Our oils and vinegars are the perfect ingredients or finishing touches to take your Super Bowl snacks from good to great.
Slow Cooker Smokey Italian Pulled Pork Sliders
1. Heat up slow cooker on lowest setting. Season pork tenderloin with salt and pepper, on all sides. Place in the slow cooker.
2. Drizzle EVOO and vinegar over pork tenderloin.
3. Cook on low for 4 hours. Check every 30 minutes and turn over, so that all sides are covered with oil and vinegar.
4. At 4 hours, remove pork from slow cooker, and shred or "pull" with a fork. Serve on buns with desired condiments and sides.
Spinach and Caramelized Onion Dip
(adapted from Real Simple)
2 medium onions, chopped
Fleur de Sel salt and pepper
2 cups sour cream
1 package (10-ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid
1 tablespoon Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, and let cool.
2. Add sour cream, spinach, vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the onions and stir until combined.
3. Serve with fresh veggies and crackers.
Kickin' Chicken Nachos
2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts separated)
3 tablespoons Jalapeno EVOO
1 whole cooked chicken breast, shredded
Chile Lime Margarita Salt
1 cup salsa
1/2 large bag of tortilla chips
1 (8 ounce) package shredded cheddar/Monterey jack cheese blend
1/2 large tomato, diced
Garlic Cilantro Balsamic Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add EVOO and allow to heat. Add garlic and white parts of the green onions and cook until tender. Add shredded chicken, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix until coated with oil. Stir in salsa.
3. Arrange tortilla chips on a baking sheet. Spoon chicken mixture over chips. Top with shredded cheese and tomato. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with green parts of sliced green onions and drizzle with vinegar.
-- Drizzle hummus with Meyer Lemon EVOO and serve with fresh veggies, crackers, and pita chips.
-- Add our Serrano Chili Honey Vinegar to your hot wings recipe
-- Make a pot of chili with our River Road Chili Mix and garnish with our Crimson Hot Sauce from Bravado Spice Company.
-- Serve Mom's Veggie Dip with your hot wings.
-- Try our dessert cheeseball mixes with fresh fruit, gingersnaps, vanilla wafers, and graham crackers.
We can help you plan a spectacular Super Bowl spread. Come down to the shop today.
Just a Few More Days 0
You've heard the saying...the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. We just wanted to let you know the shop will be closed a few more days while we complete updates to the facility. As always, you can shop online to purchase all your favorite flavored and infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars.
If you haven't already tried our best selling olive oil, now is a great time. Garlic Mushroom EVOO is a favorite of both staff and customers. One of our regular customers described it like this, "The Garlic EVOO tastes like fresh, raw garlic, while the Garlic Mushroom EVOO tastes like a rich, roasted garlic." That is the perfect description. The mushrooms add a earthiness that takes the garlic to the next level of yumminess.
Garlic Mushroom EVOO can be used tossed on pasta or vegetables, rubbed on steak, drizzled on popcorn, or as a bread dipper. It pairs well with 25 Star Dark Balsamic, Fig Dark Balsamic, and Italian Lambrusco Red Wine vinegars.
Here is my favorite way to use it:
Cut up some fresh onions, carrots, sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, and any other veggies you like. Do not dice them or cut into small pieces. Keep the pieces about 1". Toss them in a Ziplock bag and drizzle in 1 or 2 tablespoons of Garlic Mushroom EVOO, and add some salt and pepper. Toss vigorously, then spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking pad or parchment paper, and roast in the oven at 450F for 30-35 minutes. Toss the veggies with cooked pasta and a little more Garlic Mushroom EVOO (if needed) and enjoy!
Time for an Update 0
Please pardon the interruption, but Evilo will be closed Monday, January 9 through Thursday, January 12. We are completing a few updates to our historical building in downtown Hot Springs.
But don't despair!! You can still order all your favorite oils and vinegars online. We'll see you soon. Stay tuned for updates.
- Lisa Emmert
Going, Going, Gone 0
As we move into 2017, we're discounting Fall Flavors to make way for everything the new year has to bring. While supplies last, all things pumpkin are 50% off. This includes:
-- Pumpkin Pie Spice White and Dark Balsamic Vinegars: These are both perfect for drizzling over roasted sweet potatoes or roasted butternut or acorn squash. They also taste great poured over ice cream. One of our regular customers adds a tablespoon to her pancake batter. Pairs well with Cinnamon Infused EVOO, Butter Infused EVOO.
-- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dessert Mix: Add softened cream cheese to make a delicious cheeseball to serve with gingersnaps, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, or fruit. Or, for a real treat, add softened cream cheese and Cool Whip to make a pie filling.
We're also discontinuing 500 ml bottles of our oils and vinegars. However, we have a few bottles left, which are discounted 20%, while supplies last. We have the following available:
-- Maple Dark Balsamic Vinegar: Drizzle a little over pancakes or waffles, or add some to the batter. Also makes a great glaze for pork or bacon. Pairs well with: Blood Orange EVOO, Chipotle EVOO, Cinnamon Infused EVOO, Butter Infused EVOO, Basil EVOO, and Meyer Lemon EVOO.
-- Espresso Dark Balsamic Vinegar: Use as a marinade for steak, chicken, or pork chops. Drizzle over finished steaks before serving. Also adds flavor to stews. Pairs well with Blood Orange EVOO, Chipotle EVOO, Garlic EVOO, Meyer Lemon EVOO, and Tuscan Herb EVOO.
-- Lavender Dark Balsamic Vinegar: Makes a delicious marinade for chicken. Also great for roasting new potatoes or using in vinaigrettes. Pairs well with Herbs de Provence EVOO, Persian Lime EVOO, Basil EVOO, Blood Orange EVOO, Tuscan Herb EVOO, and Meyer Lemon EVOO.
-- Vanilla Dark Balsamic Vinegar: Delicious drizzled over berries, brownies, ice cream, or all three together! Makes an incredible vinaigrette with Blood Orange EVOO. Also pairs well with: Chipotle EVOO, Butter Infused EVOO, Meyer Lemon EVOO, and Persian Lime EVOO.
-- Lemongrass Mint Dark Balsamic Vinegar: Brings an enticing Thai flavor to any dish, and also enhances Asian dishes. Perfect for dressing cold noodles, salads or in a dipping sauce for spring rolls, lettuce wraps, etc. Pairs well with Basil EVOO, Persian Lime EVOO, Chipotle EVOO, Basil Lemongrass EVOO, and Meyer Lemon EVOO.
-- Cinnamon Infused EVOO: Absolutely wonderful for baking muffins or quick breads. Also a great addition to pancake or waffle batter. Use for roasting sweet potatoes, yams, butternut squash, or acorn squash. Pairs well with Pear White Balsamic Vinegar, Maple Dark Balsamic Vinegar, Pumpkin Pie Spice Dark or White Balsamic Vinegar, Vanilla Dark Balsamic Vinegar, or Pecan Praline Dark Balsamic Vinegar.
- Lisa Emmert
- Tags: Basil EVOO Blood Orange EVOO Butter Infused EVOO Chipotle EVOO Cinnamon Infused EVOO Espresso Dark Balsamic Vinegar Garlic EVOO Herbes de Provence EVOO Lavender Dark Balsamic Vinegar Lemongrass Mint Dark Balsamic Vinegar Maple Dark Balsamic Vinegar Meyer Lemon EVOO Mocha Almond Fudge Dark Balsamic Pear White Balsamic Vinegar Pecan Praline Dark Balsamic Vinegar Persian Lime EVOO pumpkin cheesecake dessert mix Pumpkin Pie Spice Balsamic Vinegar Pumpkin Pie Spice White Balsamic Vinegar Tuscan herb EVOO Vanilla Dark Balsamic Vinegar