Flavors of the Week 10/10/12
As temperatures continue to cool outside, we’re bringing the heat at EvilO. This week we feature our Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar in 2 of our pairings. The jalapeño balsamic adds the natural sweetness of the vinegar to make this flavor extra special. We hope you love them as much as we do. Stop by the shop this week, and try them out.
Smoke and Fire: We’ve paired our Smokey Hickory EVOO and Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar for a smokey and spicy treat. This will taste great with anything you smoke or throw on the grill. A perfect addition to your weekend tailgating. For this weekend’s Octoberfest celebration, try this take on German potato salad.
Kicked Up German Potato Salad
(adapted from Five Heart Home)
2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
12 ounces bacon, cut into 1” pieces
2 tablespoons Smokey Hickory EVOO
1/3 cup Jalapeno White Balsamic Vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Toss potatoes with EVOO. Spread on baking sheet in a single layer, and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon with slotted spoon, leaving bacon grease in the pot.
3. Remove pot from heat and slowly add vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper to the bacon grease. Stir to combine. Return pot to heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a couple minutes, then add garlic. Cook garlic for 1 minute.
4. Remove pot from heat and add roasted potatoes. Gently stir until all of the liquid is absorbed. Add bacon and parsley and gently stir until combined.
5. Transfer to serving dish and serve warm.
Tuscan Fig: Our best-selling Tuscan Herb EVOO is the perfect match for our Fig Dark Balsamic Vinegar. These 2 flavors complement each other, and will taste great for simply dipping bread, but will also make a great marinade. With bread dipping in mind, we suggest this recipe for a unique savory biscotti.
Tuscan Herb Biscotti
(adapted from A Family Feast)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup fine corn meal
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup Tuscan Herb EVOO
Fig Dark Balsamic Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, corn meal, and baking powder. Stir in Parmesan, walnuts, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Mix until well-blended.
3. Whisk together eggs, sugar, and EVOO until well-combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to form a dough. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into two logs (~ 10” x 3”). Transfer to baking sheet and press slightly to flatten.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet for ~15 minutes.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 300F. Carefully transfer logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, slice each log crosswise, on a slight diagonal into 1/2-inch slices. Return slices to baking sheet, laying them on their sides.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn each slice to the other side. Bake for another 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
7. Drizzle with Fig Dark Balsamic to serve.
Kickin’ Margarita: This pairing of Persian Lime EVOO and Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar will work with a variety of Tex-Mex dishes. Try this salsa recipe to snack on while you watch football this weekend.
Black Bean Salsa
(adapted from The Blond Cook)
1 (15-ounce) can yellow whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup red onion, chopped
2 cups Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, shopped
1/4 cup Jalapeno White Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons Persian Lime EVOO
1/2 teaspoon, salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Add all ingredients to a large bowl, and stir to combine.
2. Serve with tortilla chips.
Caprese: Our Basil EVOO and 25 Star Dark Balsamic Vinegar bring you the classic Caprese flavors. Perfect for creating your own Caprese Salad at home.
Caprese Pasta Salad
(adapted from Pip and Ebby)
1 (16-ounce) box of Rotini pasta, cooked and drained
8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
1 (8-ounce) container of fresh Mozzarella pearls
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup pesto
3 tablespoons Basil EVOO
2 tablespoons 25 Star Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
2. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Serve cold or chilled.
- Lisa Emmert